Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Resolutions for 2010?

I've been meaning to post my resolutions for the coming year since New Year's. No need to reference a calendar, I know what month it is. What's the hold up, you're probably wondering?

Last time I posted New Year's resolutions was in 2008. Last year, was a year of major transitions but it didn't start it off with resolutions; it was just constantly moving. This year has felt much the same--big changes, constantly reevaluating conflicting moving parts to get the best outcome.

The usual resolutions have felt a bit halfhearted or contrived. Yes, I do want to eat healthier. Yes, I want to be better about saving money (and get myself completely out of debt). Yes, I want to write more (hence the writing project). But the truth is, for 2010, my resolutions involve states of being.

I resolve here to be happier in 2010.

That looks simple in text, but sounds particularly difficult. The marketer in me is asking how I'm going to measure that. I don't have an answer for that. How do you count smiles per day?

It's a matter of mindset. A friend of mine used to quote High Fidelity on a regular basis, "How hard is it to decide to be in a good mood and be in a good mood ... ?" It's really easy to get wrapped up in the drama of every day life; it's a lot harder to remain consistently upbeat. I used to think it was contrived when I'd see people behave as though everything was fantastic; now it seems like a fake-it-till-you-make-it mentality. Why not be happier?

Again, easier said then done. Here's how I intend to do it:
  • Laugh Often
  • Let Go of Things Quicker -- This one will probably be the hardest for me, as my clan tends to hold onto things for a long time (physical and emotional).
  • Accept Things as They Are -- I have a strong desire to promote positive change that can sometimes hinder my own happiness.
  • Stay Active -- Movement helps clear your head. And it makes you feel better physically (yay, yoga!).
I'll keep you posted on my progress.


The photo is a shirt from Threadless.com called "School Taught Me a Valuable Lesson; I'm Still Paying for It."

No comments: