Saturday, January 5, 2008

Planning a Trip Back Home

It's been over a year since I've returned to the home state. And I miss it.

Back in the day, I had planned to come out to Boston for college and head straight home afterwards. It was supposed to be a four year stay away, then back to the Pacific Northwest for me. Instead, I developed a love hate relationship with this city and I wasn't quite sure I could go home. Isn't there some sort of adage about that?

Planning a trip home has brought about some nostalgia. You move away from home and you can't have any regrets. But I always wonder what it would have been like if I had never left. Where would I have gone to college? (University of Oregon? U.W.?) Where would I be living now? And what would I do be doing for work?

Would I have been at the hospital when my best friend gave birth to her first child?

It's too great a distance for entirely too long!

But can you ever really go home? We shall see. We shall see.

No comments: