Saturday, January 19, 2008

Media Fragmentation vs. Divided Attention

At this exact moment, I'm watching election coverage on TV, and trying to read through all of this week's coverage of Macworld--meaning I have tabs open from MacRumors Live, Engadget, Gizmodo, TechCrunch and others, and the voices from the various campaigns chiming in.

Different channels are providing different news of interest. However, my attention is so divided, I'm not sure it's effective to be doing so much at once.

Beyond the fact that there are so many distractions, often times, there's no telling when one will appear. The very important phone call about your best friend's shoes, the text message that arrived mid-presentation, the email that interrupted drafting a press release--all of these things interrupt, distract, but add value.

How do you maintain control of it all? I will have to return to this later... I have to finish something else. :-)

1 comment:

Ramsey Mohsen said...

Preaching to the choir. It's all about self-discipline for me. Anytime there is a large amount of tasks that I need to accomplish, I prioritize, then execute. At work, and at home.

I've just taught myself, once I'm committed to something, finish it -- then move on.

When you start doing this at first it takes more time just to think through what you should even do first. But once you get the habit down, you really get done all the HAVE TOs and the IF YOU HAVE TIMEs just drop off.

And trust me, there isn't one way in which I make my lists. Sometimes it's in my head, on a post it, within my NetVibes homepage -- it's just wherever I feel like doing it that day.