Wednesday, January 30, 2008

An Open Letter to Newsletter Hosts and Subscription Managers

Dear Sir or Madam,

When I asked to be removed from your list, did I stutter? Was my mouse click not steady enough for your likely? When did a person's polite no thank you become optional or up for debate?

It didn't. In fact, opt-out compliance is the law.

Did my switch from email newsletters to RSS damage your subscriber rates? Well, I've got news for you, buddy. Failed opt outs damage your subscriber rates too. And they build ill will. Not only do I not care to read your e-newsletter or whatever you're sending me, it irritates me every time I see something from your company.

In the future, take due diligence with your email lists. If I ask to be removed, I'm not joking, I'm not being coy, I want my email address removed from you list.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Signed and sealed.
Sandy

P.S. If you have opt-out frustrations to share, feel free to chime in on the comments.

No comments: