Wednesday, January 2, 2008

First Day of Work in 2008

Felt very much like the last day of work in 2007. For all the resolutions and the celebration, tomorrow brought the same stuff yesterday did--my usual routine.

Do you remember how when you were a kid people would ask on your birthday if you felt any different? With scores of resolutions (or in my case three), we design the New Year to be one of pre-set direction. We hope to start again and feel the New Year bring in renewed opportunities.

But I don't remember feeling any difference between age six and seven. Do you?

Big changes--life altering decisions--don't come at convenient and neat mile markers. People remember the day they met their spouse, down to the outfit they were wearing. Will I remember what I wore this NYE? Doubtful.

Does today feel any different from yesterday?

2 comments:

Jayvee said...

Left work yesterday and commented to a colleague "so far 2008 is just like 2007," out of frustration dealing with something work related -- so you're not alone in this feeling.

Sandy said...

It's funny. I don't know why I was expecting it to be any different. These benchmarks have to come to symbolize hope or a progression that people are excited about. But it seems like it's all the same.