Sunday, August 10, 2008

Be Your Own Best Friend

Yoga, generally speaking, is a great way to de-stress and detox, and remember self compassion. When you're forced to consider your breathing instead of how quickly you can check items off a list, you have an opportunity to relax, maybe bring a sense of purpose to your day. It's a very happiness through doing sort of philosophy.

But the other day, the yoga did little good. I was angry, frustrated and tired. I left the studio in the middle of class. I tried savasana in the hallway. When that didn't work, I tried to sleep a little. I was angrily calling myself names. I was running through every imperfection, every failing.

After class, I got to talking with my yoga instructor at Prana Power Yoga. I told her that I was beating myself and she asked me a question that really put the whole thing into perspective--would you speak to your best friend like that?

When you're in your head, arguing over the details, the what went wrongs, the shortcomings, it's really easy to be mean, to treat yourself with something less than compassion, treat yourself in a way you wouldn't dare treat another person. Why is it so hard to be kind to the person you spend the most time with?

Be your own best friend.

No comments: