Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Gone Droid and Loving It

I accidentally got myself a gift on Black Friday.  Well, I intended to get a Droid, Black Friday made it free.  Free is more gift-like than the sans contract, sans holiday discount price creeping towards $400.  

Considering the fact that I pretty much use Google for everything, the OS is ideal. Gmail functions nearly exactly as it does in browser, which is a step up from iPhone, where you could accidentally delete messages but archiving with labels was inconvenient.

I was reluctant about the service provider change, not because I had a strong affinity for AT&T mobility.  Mostly out of habit, I think; I had been an AT&T customer since it was Cingular; I've never had another carrier.  AT&T's loss is Verizon's gain -- the service tends to be more reliable, in my house (which had been a problem), on the way to the studio (also had been a problem), and on the roads I often travel... 

And thankfully, all the apps I didn't want to give up from my iPhone are there and much less buggy so far.


Returning to gratitude...
The technological age that we live in is a mixed blessing.  It is simultaneously wonderful to have access to instantaneous information and constant contact, and disappointing when we don't connect the way we now expect or believe we should.  Our expectations warp around our technology.  Hundreds of years ago we relied on horses to carry letters, there weren't phones, voicemail, texts, status updates or tweets; I highly doubt people were wringing their hands waiting for a reply to a letter reply--there was no way to know the original correspondence got to its destination at all.  Instant information creates amazing opportunities; I'm grateful to have a phone that enables that.  Now, if only I can keep my (interpersonal) expectations in check.

No comments: