Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Remembering MLK in Quotes

Image from ISREALLI.org
When I first started dating my fella, I was nervous about introducing him to my family.  He's the first man of color I've dated, and up until this point my family had been very keyed into the idea of me dating and marrying a Jewish man--a southern black gentleman couldn't be further from their expectations (or at least their perceived expectations). So I asked a pal of mine who has been in an interracial relationship for years, "How did you handle introducing him to your family?"

I think about her response often. She told me that you can't control people's reactions (can you tell she's a yoga teacher?), and that all I could really do, and what would be most effective was to simply let him stand for himself.

So to celebrate the man that stood for peacefully breaking down boundaries or race, creed and all the expectations therein, I figure I ought to do the same.  MLK speaks best for himself.

Image from The Seattle Times




I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. 


Image from Gawker
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. 


Photo by BET
An individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law. 


I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant. 



No comments: