Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Pay it Forward

When I was in high school, I read Catherine Ryan Hyde's Pay it Forward. I loved the idea. Basically, do three good deeds for every single good deed that comes to you -- thereby spreading the good out exponentially, (ultimately and ideally) creating a wider social change.

It really is a lovely concept.

Today, someone did something lovely for me. I was rushing to get to the studio, per usual. And I didn't have enough quarters, per usual. It was raining. So I put what I had in the meter and ran inside to grab some change.

But there was a man in the parking lot. A city employee, no doubt. He was there pulling the change out of the meters. He saw me looking around for more silver to put in the meter.

When I ran inside, he actually fed the meter for me. It wasn't a grand gesture. It was a simple quarter, which he had plenty of since he was emptying out the meters. But it put a smile on my face.

So now I'm looking to pay it forward. That's a good place to be: actively looking for ways to help others. Do you need anything? :-)

No comments: